What is Philosophy?
- Philosophy is Working out the right way to think about things. (Rather than best)
- It is a way to stepping back and working right way of thinking about things.
- It is an activity.
- Philosophy is learning specific tools and techniques to reason, argue and express yourself.
All subjects, not just philosophy, try and think about things in right way.
- While doing physics, we investigate physical reality construction experiments, measuring and formulating theories.
- But while doing philosophy of physics, we might ask: What do we mean by physical reality?, How do experimental results confirm or dis confirm a hypothesis?, or something like “What distinguish a good scientific from bad one?”
- When practicing medicine we try to heal or treat people according to our current best medical theories.
- When doing philosophy of medicine, we might step back and think about whether the concepts our best medical theories employ make sense, or what ‘health’ and ‘sickness’ really mean.